Thursday, July 29, 2010

Italian Chicken Burgers


Italian Chicken Burgers at Paprika Red


I told you guys I was on a burger kick!

What happens when you take inspiration from Chicken Milanese and Salad Caprese and put it on a bun? You get a delicious sandwich, that's what. The idea for this sprang from seeing a recipe in Bon Appetit about a Chicken Parmigiana sandwich. It looked delicious, but I wrestled with the idea of putting tomato sauce on my sandwich. I envisioned trying to eat it and getting a ring of sauce in the palms of my hands. I pictured the sauce dripping onto my shirt. I pictured soggy breading. In my mind, this wasn't really going too well. I wanted a crisp-coated chicken burger, and that tangy tomato flavor, and of course the basil and cheese. Just no gloppy messiness, please.

I started with a lb of ground chicken, and an egg. It got very soupy very quickly, I had to use quite a bit of what I'd planned on using for the coating as a binder, to sop up the juice. But that's ok, because the end result is a delicious, juicy patty that doesn't taste bready, and who can argue with that? Depending on how moist your chicken is, you may need more or less bread crumbs, so add a TB or two a time until you can form a patty, while trying to handle the patty as little as possible.

For the cheese, I recommend any full-flavored low-moisture mozzarella. I've been taken with Organic Valley's mozzarella - it has a ton of flavor (makes those regular store-bought balls taste like cardboard) and is really delicious!

Italian Chicken Burgers

1 heaping cup panko bread crumbs
1 TB dried Italian seasoning
2 TB finely grated hard Italian cheese, like Parmesan
1/2 tsp coarse salt
1/2 tsp finely ground pepper

1 1/3 lb ground chicken
1 egg
1 TB fresh, finely chopped basil or oregano (optional)
1/2 tsp coarse salt
1 TB olive oil

4 burger buns, preferably Kaiser or a soft Ciabatta
4 large slices tomato
4 oz low-moisture mozzarella cheese, sliced thinly
1/2 cup arugula
8-12 large basil leaves
Mayonnaise 

First, make your seasoned breading. Mix the panko, dried seasoning, grated cheese, salt, and pepper. Set aside on a large plate.

In a medium sized mixing bowl, mix the chicken, egg, salt, and oregano, if using. Add about 1/4 cup of the bread crumb mixture, mixing gently, and careful not to overwork. Patties should hold together at this point; if you need a little more panko for it to hold it together, add about 1 TB at a time, using no more than an additional 2 TB. Shape it into 4 patties roughly 4" in diameter, and dredge it in the panko mixture, pressing the panko into the chicken patties. You may have some panko left over.

In a large, nonstick skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. When hot, add the patties. Cook until medium golden brown on the bottom, and chicken appears cooked halfway up, about 4-5 minutes. Flip, and continue cooking until the other side is the same color, another 3 minutes or so more. (Now's a good time to put the buns in the toaster.) When bottoms are light golden brown, with about 1 minute to go, add a thin layer of cheese on the top, and let cheese melt.

To serve, spread a little mayo on each side of your kaiser bun. Lay a few pieces of arugula, basil, and tomato slice on the bottom bun. Top with the patty and serve. Would go very nicely with a nice side salad with balsamic vinaigrette.

2 comments:

  1. These burgers sound great! I made chicken parm burgers a while back, and they were a big hit. I'm sure my husband would love these burgers as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That burger looks amazing! You should submit the recipe to the Recipe4Living Juiciest Burger Contest here!

    ReplyDelete